Saturday, May 9, 2009

All of my Mothers

I’m a pretty dang lucky girl. Not only am I a mother of two darling little girls, I have some pretty amazing women in my life. So, being the weekend of Moms, I thought I would take a minute and write about each one.

My Grandma Shirley (my Mom’s Mom) died when I was 15. She lived in Spanish Fork and I remember going almost every Saturday to her house. We would play school in the basement, eat all her treats, and go to the store for her. She loved soap operas. She loved that jell-o you buy at the store that has cool whip in it, with more cool whip on top. She loved TV dinners. My Grandma thought that every baby “looked just like a Johnson”. I’m sad sometimes that she never got to meet my girls (here on earth). She loved visitors and pink flowers. She was great!

My Grandma Karyl (my Dad’s Mom) died about 3 ½ years ago. I grew up with her living only one field away. Sometimes my sisters and I would fight over who got to eat dinner at her house on Sunday. Grandma was always trying to teach me something. Cooking, cleaning, sewing…you name it. She was always telling me to stand up straight and be proud of my height. I loved eating her desserts, especially the picnic cake. Mmm! Mmm! She was a great journal keeper. I was reading in her journal the other day and I saw some things she wrote about me while I was on my mission. It made me cry a little to read about how proud of me she was. I hope that I can always live in a way that would make her proud.

Jason’s Grandma Carma (Terry’s Mom) died about six years ago, which means I never met her. Rumor has it, she was pretty dang amazing. Carma had an amazing talent in sewing. Jason always talks about the “cool shorts” that she made. She made a bunch of baby clothes for Primary Children’s when the twins were born because they were too little for anything else. I’ve heard great stories about family parties at her house. Jason always tells me wonderful things about her and I’m glad he had her as an influence in his life.

Jason’s Grandma Janice (Norah’s Mom) lives in California. She comes to Utah to visit often and we always try to see her when she’s here. I’m still getting to know her, but the little I do know is wonderful. She writes great family history, takes great care of Papa Paul, and is a very smart person. She is always interested in what each grandchild is doing. Whenever we talk she always seems interested in me and the girls and I love that. Jason has shared stories of visiting her house in California. I’m grateful for the things she has taught Jason.

My Mother-In-Law, Norah, is next. What a lucky girl I am to live so close to her and her family. Norah is a great woman. She is very kind and compassionate. She is very generous with her time and talents. I love watching her arrange flowers, bake, or play with Jordyn. She teaches me to find fun in all things, to sit back and relax a little, and to always enjoy the company of others. I’m so grateful for the mother she has been to Jason. Boy, he’s lucky! I know that he is who he is, in part, because of his mother. He is also very kind and generous and I know he learned that from her.

Last, my Mom, Susan. Where do I even begin? Of course, all daughters love their mothers. My Mom however is the best of all! She has taught me so many things. She taught me to work hard, even though I’m not very good at it. She has shown me how to pray by always leaving her door open just a crack so I could see her praying. She is a great leader, because she is always leading by example. I know she has a testimony of the gospel. I know she loves her family. She has taught me that family is the most important. I’ve watched her take care of those around her willingly and with love. I’m grateful she’s my Mom, I would never trade her in, I love her dearly, and hope that I can be like her.

3 comments:

Katy said...

What a sweet mother's day post. You got me thinking about the moms in my life too.

Melissa said...

What a sweet post. I would love to read Grandma Halladay's Journal sometime.

Amy said...

You are one lucky girl - and I know your girls will say the same of you in 20 years. :)

This made me cry a little....I'm blaming hormones though....